Photo reference: BC SPCA
Feeling generous this holiday season? Why not support a local Edmonton & surrounding area animal shelter!
Whether it’s donating your time or money, giving to a charity is a great way to support your local pet community. During the winter months it is especially important to do what we can to help our four-legged friends. The need for food, shelter, warm blankets, and volunteers is much higher. There are many ways to help local pet charities and hopefully after reading this you have a better understanding of the different ways you can help and you’ll feel ready to take the next step.
The numbers of stray animals are increasing and the cold winter months can be fatal without our help. It is our job to protect our furry friends! Some ways you can make a change:
- Donating your time – volunteering at kennels, helping with fundraisers, fostering, walking rescue dogs, etc.
- Donating your money – this allows the charities to provide essential items to the animals such as food and shelter.
- Spreading the word! Simply share your knowledge of these societies and the different ways people can help.
- Donating items – blankets, food, toys, treats, pee pads, etc.
- Stay informed – following different charities on social media sites is a great way to find out about local fundraising events and how you can get involved!
There is no better time to start taking action than right now! The holidays are a time of giving, so go ahead and take the first step. You could be changing an animal’s life forever.
Here are a few Animal charities to take a look at:
- SCARS – Second Hand Animal Rescue: https://www.scarscare.ca/
- GEARS – Greater Edmonton Animal Rescue Society: https://edmontonanimalrescue.org/
- Pet Therapy Society of Northern Alberta: https://pettherapysociety.com/
- HART – Humane Animal Rescue Team: http://www.humaneanimalrescueteam.ca/
by Julia, Assistant